Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/24/d166997933/htdocs/scrapdawgs/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/24/d166997933/htdocs/scrapdawgs/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/24/d166997933/htdocs/scrapdawgs/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3558: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3560: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3561: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3562: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
ScrapDawgs.com - View topic - Good thoughts request

Good thoughts request 
Sketch Ho

Post Good thoughts request
For my girl. She's having a tough time. Hopefully things start settling for her soon, but right now she's so homesick.

Hurting my heart. I just wish I could snap my fingers and make it better, I can't. You guys are the closest I have to that! lol

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:52 pm
Alpha Dog

Post Re: Good thoughts request
You got 'em. :hug:

21013 Word: Positivity! I need to have a positive attitude toward life. I will find the positive in all things.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:38 pm
Dog Treat

You got 'em!!!

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 pm
Sketch Ho

thanks girls... i think her biggest thing is being isolated. not having a car. AND not working. work was good for that girl... i think once she makes a couple of friends, then she'll feel better about flagstaff. once she feels better about being there, then she'll wanna stay, and we can think about helping her with a car...

keep the good thoughts coming.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:19 am
Dog Treat

It is tough to be the parent in that situation... we just want them to be happy and feel kind of helpless when there is nothing we can do. Hugs for you and her!

Hannah has been working at a camp all summer on the other side of the state. Because her college doesn't start until Mid September, they asked her if she could stay 2 extra weeks, but 90% of the staff (and 100% of her friends) are already gone so she is lonely and homesick... I have to talk her out of bailing and coming home almost every day... We want her to keep the commitment that she made to them... but it is hard not to just say "just come on home!"

My Blog- http://scrappinjanettey.blogspot.com/

My word for 2012 is Trust

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 am
Sketch Ho

YEAH. that...

i have told the girl no decisions til christmas, if then...

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:38 am
Alpha Dog

Bless her heart :( Sending tons of good thoughts to her! I can't imagine how hard it is for her to be so far from home and everything familiar and comforting.

I haven't said much but Garrett was having a tough time too...He's only 2 hours away but still feels completely shut off from family and friends. Football demands SO much of his time it's insane and honestly I think it's more than he was expecting. There was a couple days I literally felt like I was talking him off the ledge...he's adjusting more now but it's still tough. He came home yesterday morning and left early this morning and I cried for an hour after he left. I really just want to say COME HOME and have to keep reminding myself why he shouldn't.
One thing to Garrett's advantage is that his girlfriend moved to Knoxville right after graduation and she only lives 30 minutes from his school so he sees her more than us.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 am
Alpha Dog

Another thought. Tell her to hang out in the student union. Lots of kids will study there. Good way to meet people. Does her dorm have a common area? I know it is hard to make new friends, I suck at it. Just thinking out loud here.

21013 Word: Positivity! I need to have a positive attitude toward life. I will find the positive in all things.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:47 am
Alpha Dog

I'm saying a prayer for her, Aimee!! It will get better, but it's so hard in the meantime.

Mckenzie was really lucky to find a roommate who is extremely similar in almost every way. They started talking in February and had met in person/eaten out/shopped together at least three times before move-in day. They weren't extremely social the first week, but by the second week, the girls across the hall had befriended them, and now they are together all the time.

I agree with an earlier post from Candice....once she gets to know a few people in class, she'll feel more comfortable. She can study with them or go grab lunch together. I really hope the homesickness eases for her very soon. I will keep praying! :hug:

*~*STARR*~*

Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 am
Sketch Ho

thanks, girls... rhonda, the feeling of talking them off a ledge is a good description. she told me mornings were the hardest. this morning i text-yelled at her to GET. UP. MAKE. COFFEE. :) found another article about how this is temporary, and it will get easier. she wants to love it there, she just needs to find a couple of girls she clicks with, and it'll get easier. also, work. i think a part time job will help her, she thinks so too. only thing is, there's not really any on campus, and we make too much for her to get a work/study job, apparently. and the bus system isn't great, and she doesn't want to walk by herself late at night...

i told her we'll look at helping with a car once she settles in, and feels more comfortable.

oh, and she said the coffee helped this morning... ;) i told her to trust the mojo that is her momma. lol

Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:13 pm
Dog Treat

Also, maybe a church college group or something like that would be a good place to meet other students.

My Blog- http://scrappinjanettey.blogspot.com/

My word for 2012 is Trust

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:18 pm
Alpha Dog

Food services are almost always hiring. She should just stop by the food areas and ask. Amelia got her job mid-semester last year.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:34 pm
Alpha Dog

Everyone has a lot of good advise. Going away to school is the first real dose of being an adult for kids.

MY 2012 Word is Appreciate.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Big Dog

Good thoughts for her Aimee, hope she adjusts soon. Plenty of good advice here.:) Would it be okay if I sent her a card? Kind of an encouragement one? If so then pm me the address. BTW, it will most likely be store bought.:sigh:

http://www.marykay.com/vsmith78

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 pm
Sketch Ho

Thanks Veronica. I'll send it to you.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:39 pm
Alpha Dog

This breaks my heart

She will make friends, just give it time

Tell her I'm thinking of her :hug:

My 2013 Word is Cherish
My 2014 Word is Grateful

Fact of Life......................... After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:25 am
Sketch Ho

I will, Kelly. She went to dinner with a bunch of girls tonight. Hoping she starts feeling better. She's getting out and making efforts. And her dad said tonight if a car will help her, he's on it.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:45 am
Alpha Dog

Being in a part of the country where a car is essential, I agree that her having a car would do a lot to eliminate the isolation, and find a job.

MY 2012 Word is Appreciate.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 am
Profile YIM WWW
Alpha Dog

If a car will help then it shall be ;)

I don't like the thought of her walking or riding a bicycle alone at night

My 2013 Word is Cherish
My 2014 Word is Grateful

Fact of Life......................... After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:27 am
Alpha Dog

i know a car was helpful to Amelia last year. She could go to the grocery store, art store, shopping area.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:25 pm
Sketch Ho

Thanks for all the good thoughts for my girl... She's doing better. Still not loving college life but, dang, it takes a while to adjust, I keep telling her.

I'm thinking a vehicle will be very helpful, as transportation to a job, and as a way to have a bit of sanity in a crazy life...

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:25 am
Sketch Ho

I knew the dawgs were powerful. Thanks for all the good thoughts. Talked to her tonight and she's doing looooooooots better. That was the toughest thing I've dealt with since the terrible twos!!! That was a whole different kind of trouble, but was all encompassing too. lol

She's been telling me it's the party dorm. She didn't know it, but it is. Cops there quite a bit, for alcohol and pot. She just rolls her eyes and calls those kids idiots. Thank goodness she's not a partier! Don't know how it happened, but... Dang. I know how I was at her age! :oops:

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:51 pm
Alpha Dog

Maybe she'll find a friend in another dorm and she can hang out there. They learn quickly who and where the parties are. Amelia avoids them as well. It is reassuring to know.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 am
Sketch Ho

She went to a tie-dye party last night, then went back to her room & hung out with her roomie and a neighbor and they ordered pizza. Movie night for them... Tonight they're supposed to go get sushi for dinner together.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:38 am
Alpha Dog

I'm so glad to hear that she is finally making friends :banana: It's hard moving thousands of miles away from home :hug: I wouldn't be able to do that lol

My 2013 Word is Cherish
My 2014 Word is Grateful

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:56 pm